More Recent Comments

Friday, April 04, 2014

University rules and regulations

Today is the last day of classes at the University of Toronto and I have to submit a copy of the final exam to the Examination Supervisor. Actually, I have to submit a copy for each student PLUS 11 extra copies AND the "original." They have to be in two separate sealed packages with specified labels on the outside.

There's a set of rules and regulations that must be followed, including specific formatting rules. Some of the rules make sense and some don't.

Rule #12 is interesting. Here's what it says ...
Instructors and departmental offices should take stringent measures to prevent unauthorized persons from having access to the examinations. NO COPY OF AN EXAMINATION IS TO BE KEPT IN THE DEPARTMENT BEFORE THE FINAL EXAMINATION IS WRITTEN. This applies to electronic storage as well as to flash drives/usb key and paper copies.
Those of you who know me well will be able to imagine how much effort I have taken to erase everything from my hard drive and the automated backup drive attached to my computers. They will understand exactly how difficult it was for me to check my flash drive to make sure that no copy of the exam was stored there or in dropbox. They'll also know just how scrupulous I've been about not having a copy of my exam anywhere in my files. They can imagine that I've stored a copy safely at home so I can print out a version the day after the exam is written and put if back on my desktop hard drive.

I wonder how many of my colleagues will follow this rule? What do you think the penalty is if you don't?

Thank the gods for bureaucrats.


3 comments :

Veronica Abbass said...

No doubt the administration is afraid there are students like Conrad Black at U of T.

In 1959, Black was "Kicked out of Upper Canada College in grade nine for stealing final exams from the school office. Makes $1,400 on sale of the exams to other students." tinyurl.com/l4dj4kb

This answers your question"What exactly does ["entrepreneurship" mean and why is it so valuable?

colnago80 said...

Apparently ole Conrad continued his nefarious ways after being expelled from Upper Canada College as, after a career as a newspaper publisher, he was convicted of fraud and served a term in the slammer.

http://goo.gl/p2CQmq

Larry Moran said...

I think I understand how the system works today. A student breaks into my office, gains access to my computer, and steals a copy of the exam.

Blame the professor.